Thursday, 7 August 2014

These things are sent to try us.

So, after being full of good intentions, Tuesday evening turned into a bit of a disaster! Don’t worry, I stuck to the plan but I did get irrationally upset over a cauliflower….The day hadn’t started well as I woke up with a stinking migraine and had to have the other half feed me ibuprofen and water before sleeping the worst of it off. I finally arose feeling like death warmed up but somehow managed to power through and do 30 minutes of an interval training video through Exercise TV (the overly perky and enthusiastic instructor didn’t improve my mood but I did refrain from lobbing the remote at the TV.) Anyway, I survived and the perky instructor lived to lunge another day.

So, feeling vaguely saintly and admittedly a little better, I planned a nice evening meal of cauliflower pizza  which is a new recipe that I hadn't tried. I'd fastidiously read through the recipe and bought the necessary ingredients so we were good to go. Or so I thought. After ages of grating, steaming, wringing, shaping and cooking what I ended up with was something that managed to be both burned and soggy at the same time (which would be impressive had it not been completely accidental) and tasted of cauliflower omelette; in other words, extremely nasty.


Bless my partner for powering through and eating it but I descended into tears (cue sniffling and repeatedly saying that everything was ruined.) In my defense, I did feel really ill and I was annoyed that the pizza disaster had wasted ingredients and therefore money. After having to go out to get some air and calm down and work out what the heck I was going to eat I ended up buying a prawn and spinach sandwich from the local supermarket so all in all it didn't end as badly as it could have done (at one point I swore blind that I was going to stuff this programme and get a proper pizza delivered!)


I suppose if anything it has taught me that things are not always going to go to plan, especially when trying out new recipes but to keep focused and not get thrown off course. With that in mind, last night's recipe was a beef and vegetable crumble and thank the lord - was actually tasty! It was comforting and homely and will definitely be a go-to recipe for the future - particularly because it's pretty easy! I fried off lean minced beef with chopped onion and carrot, mixed through herbs, spices and a tin of tomatoes and then poured into a casserole dish and topped with a flour and vegetable spread crumble topping and chopped cauliflower and courgette - then baked in the oven until crispy and delicious. I can't find an exact recipe for it but is similar to this one (with the cheese in the crumble topping substituted for vegetables): http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-011h02.html


Last night also included a walk before dinner; we're really lucky that where we live is surrounded by lots of little cycle paths where you can pretty much be completely off road for as long as you like. The blackberries are starting to come out as well so cue purple fingers and getting entangled in hedges - lots of fun!






No comments:

Post a Comment